Thursday, September 15, 2016

Making it work

The quilt I currently have on the frame is a little bit too big.  I wasn't going to be able to roll it up and have it fit under the throat of the sewing machine easily.  So I decided to turn it.  I've had this in the back of my mind for a while, and wanted to see how it would work.

So far it's going ok.  I realized pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be able to roll all the layers on the bar as I had expected.  This made me wish I had gone down as far as possible before turning, but I'll know that for next time now.  The extra weight does add some drag on the machine, but it is still movable.

Since I don't have everything up on the roller I decided to just do the saffron parts first.  This will tack it in place and then I can go back and get the other spots.

The other problem I had was a wrinkle in the batting.  It was the last piece on a roll and I think something made it stretch oddly.  After working it in for a few rows it became time for more drastic measures.  A cut.


That's right, I cut a hole in the middle of my batting.  While it was on the quilting frame.  It kind of freaked me out and seemed like a terrible plan.  But since it was that or deal with a wrinkle that wasn't going away I decided to take my chances.  I took out the offending part and hand-sewed it back up.  I can tell the seam is there, but I'm not sure anyone else will be able to.  It happens to be under one of the sashing pieces and I'm quilting those just right for this (I think).  There is some nice continuous quilting to keep it in place in the future but not too much such that it will strain the seam.






(This is the lower half; the picture with the hole is the upper half of the hole.  You can barely tell it's there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!