Monday, February 22, 2016

Matrix - finished

My new nephew arrived last month and I'll finally get to meet him next week.  So I finally took pictures of his quilt.



The pattern is Matrix by Anne from SpringLeaf Studios.  She has a beautiful rainbow version, so I thought I'd try it with some gender neutral-ish colors.  As a side note, this pattern was excellently written.  I don't use patterns all that often, but this was worth it.  It is more than a pattern - there is also some theory about how the quilt works, a coloring page, and several different color examples.

Earlier I mentioned that I wished I had spent more time with the color layout, but now that it is all quilted and bound I really, really like it.  I'm glad that it all worked out. :D


I backed it, as normal, with minky and bound it in blue sateen.    I did a square stipple / maze.  (Update: it is called circuit board.)  I'm sure it has an official name, but I don't know what it is.  I used a varigated dark grey - white thread.  It worked well with the colors that were already in the quilt.


Oh, the other thing I was going to mention is that I used two layers of batting.  Not for extra heft but for practical reasons - so that the orange from the minky didn't pull through to the front.


Linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday and Finish It Up Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! I would call it a square stipple too -- I used something similar on one of my quilts and had the same trouble describing the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot! Thanks for the solution to Minkee pull through. I've had that happen and it looks like sewing machine tension was off, when it wasn't.
    The quilting design was perfect for the piecing design. There is a design called circuit board that is very like what you did. Not positive it is the same though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! It's so fun for me to see the Matrix pattern done up in different colors. And your quilting design works really well with the pattern too. Thanks for the blog mention. I really appreciate your kind words and am glad to know you found the pattern well written. The photo out in the snow is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! he is going to love all that snuggly goodness! love your color choice and the soft blue sateen for the binding! Thanks too for the pinky tip :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a great pattern, but even more impressive is your quilting! This will be a very warm cozy quilt for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!