Thursday, November 26, 2015

Finished - stack 'n whack

I've wanted to make a stack 'n whack quilt for a while.  (In case you don't know what that is, it is where you put several layers of fabric on top of itself, all lined up so the design is in the same place on each layer.  You then cut out your pieces and put every stack together, creating a sort of kaleidoscope affect.)  I was a bit unsure of the layout that I wanted as I wasn't thrilled with many that I saw.  Then I saw one that had many background triangles in it and decided I liked it...it gave the eye a place to rest.

Here is the fabric I started with:

I cut it up and realized that I didn't quite have enough stars for a full layout and decided to add extra background.  I love how it turned out!

My initial thought had been to slice up the circles into pie shapes, but then I realized that would be rather boring.  So I added some of the white background into the mix and got some fun designs.

The flowers are quilted in white thread using a flowerish pattern.  The background is quilted with leaves (from Angela Walters).  I think of it as ground cover.  It is quilted with a thread that is fairly ugly on the spool - brown and green variegated.  But it was perfect for this.

The back is a minky.  The colors don't really match, but the theme does.  The original fabric was full of butterflies and dragonflies and flower-type things.

As with all my blankets, I bound it in sateen.  I thought it was a bit more coral in the store, but when I got home it seemed pink.  Ah well, it still matched well.

The baby should be here any day now, so I'll get it send off soon!

Linking up with TGIFF and Finish it up Friday.  Finishing this was also my November ALYoF (#54).  I love finishing a little early and feeling like I can work on anything or everything for a few days.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a lovely quilt. I've not made a stack and whack but if I did I might choose the same fabric! I really enjoy the star shapes that are made in the negative space of the background. Your mix of textiles sounds like a fun tactile combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a lovely quilt. I've not made a stack and whack but if I did I might choose the same fabric! I really enjoy the star shapes that are made in the negative space of the background. Your mix of textiles sounds like a fun tactile combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful baby quilt!! Congrats with this finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one lucky baby. I love the green background fabric and how the stars pop out. What a great quilting job as well. It must have taken a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! It came out great! Love the secondary star pattern that appeared when you put them all together! And your quilting is perfect for the quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations -it's stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you did the blocks and the layout of the quilt!!! That is one lucky baby!!! Congratulations on achieving your November goal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used the stack and whack theory to make Dresden plates and watching them come together is just so much fun. I'm guessing it was the same for your quilt. I love the green background and the way you handled it with the variegated thread and leaf quilting. It does have a ground-cover feel to it. Really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt! Very lucky baby to share that awesome fabric with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!