Thursday, October 29, 2015

Swimsuit quilt

I finished quilting the swimsuit quilt for my mother-in-law!  It took a while before I figured out how I wanted to quilt it.  I thought about doing a beach scene, but wasn't thrilled with the idea.  I was looking around some of the blogs I look at for quilting inspiration when I saw some waves from The Inbox Jaunt.  It still took a bit before I decided to use them; my first efforts at drawing them didn't work very well.


But after looking at several other things that just weren't working for me I decided to go with the waves.  Mine don't look quite as nice, but for the most part they turned out fine.  One thing I should have done differently though is to figure out the best way of quilting ahead of time.


I had tons of starts and stops!  And then I decided the swimsuits needed to be tacked down a bit more, so I did a bit of stitch in the ditch.  If I had realized that ahead of time I could have saved myself so much time.  Oh well...not a big deal in the end though.


I also stitched bodies in for the bikinis.  It just didn't feel right putting water on top of invisible bodies.


It was rather cold the day I took the picture above...definitely not swimsuit weather.

Finishing this means I met my October ALYoF goal (#35)!  I'll also be linking up with TGIFF, Whoop-whoop Friday, and Finish it Up Friday.

10 comments:

  1. Great quilt. I love the idea of the waves. I never know how I'm going to quilt anything until after I've finished the top. I then doodle on paper some ideas until I get the finished plan. THis does save quite a bit of time and stress xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is too cute! The fabrics you used for the suits are a lot of fun. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! And I think you did a nice job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job with this quilt - piecing and quilting!! If I had been your bikini model you could have quilted the rolls :) So glad you linked up with ALYOF so I could enjoy the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a clever idea and the quilting is just spot on. It always takes me a while to figure out how to quilt things too, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your ideas about this quilt( putting in the bodies) and waves !!! Just such a cute, cute quilt!!! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute quilt, your waves are wonderful, just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you tell me how big each completed bathing suit is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, It is 10.5" by 19.5". I found the pattern too:http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_sanibel.pdf

      Delete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!